Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service means stashing and/or sharing particular content on a web hosting server run by a hosting distributor. There are various classes of hosting services used for various goals, so let's have a glimpse at them. Thus, you can pick what you need, depending on whether you wish to set up a web page, mails, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a service provided by some providers, which lets you share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single purpose is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting solutions often include advertisements by the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a certain span of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you purchase a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a totally inappropriate interpretation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would share the load between different bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various web page hosting services (mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a kind of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given corporations offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting kind is suitable if you want to share a great quantity of pictures with pals or colleagues since the solution is typically free of charge. You will obtain a random link for each and every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to administering your email address accounts. Some companies provide web site hosting solutions for sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you want to keep an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can set up email mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video files and several hundred visitors, you may have a problem with your webspace hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will enable you to have as many videos as you would like without worrying about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you want to run a site. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the abovementioned hosting variants since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video files, and so on. At HD Web Hosting, for example, you can examine web hosting and dedicated web server hosting plans that permit you to have all of the aforesaid solutions in one location. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the usual email/file/video/image hosting plans that are planned for specific web content solely.